Monday, June 23, 2008

Loggy Squares Afghan

I just finished my Loggy Squares Afghan last week to give to a friend of mine home from college in Chicago for the summer. She loves pink, so this afghan will be great for wrapping up while studying on those cold Chicago nights.
I wrote up the pattern and it's now for sale for only $5 in my etsy shop.

I came up with the idea for this log cabin because I wanted to make log cabin squares but use a different technique besides the traditional "in-the-round" method. My squares are worked on opposing sides to add length, then sewn together so that no two colors touch on all four sides. I really loved the way it turned out, and I'm really happy that I can share my design with others!

Kounting Sheep

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Another update on my LC ghan...

I've managed to get 3-4 more rounds on this. I'm enjoying working on it in the mornings for about 20-30 minutes each day. Here's an updated pic. Sorry for the's from my cell phone camera as I kept forgetting to take my digi downstairs.

Is anyone besides me working on one?? Hello out there? ROFL

Have a great day all!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Upate on my log cabin as of 3-26-08

Here it is as of this morning. I really like the colors in it.

Monday, March 24, 2008

I'm working on my Log Cabin, are you?

Just wanted to post that I am getting my Log Cabin crocheted on. I am loving it too. I only get to crochet on it a few mornings a week, but I'm making pretty good progress in those times.

Is anyone else still crocheting on theirs??

Loggy Squares In Progress

This is a log-cabin afghan that I worked on diligently for two weeks, then put away. The intended recipient was a co-worker who moved away and I didn't have any way to contact her. So now it sits, about 75 percent finished, waiting. I kind of like it now and want to keep it...not sure though...
I'm using a basic log cabin method for each square using four different shades of pink, then outlining them in a round of single crochet black and crocheting them together as I go. On each join is all four colors and no same colors touch. I might try to finish it this summer when I have some more free time...

Kounting Sheep

Monday, March 3, 2008

Blue and Brown bag update

In response to Mrs. Wade's post on my blue and brown bag:

Here is my method: I unfold all the unwashed fat quarters (or fabrics) and layer them in a stack. The edges don't need to be even or anything, just so they're roughly stacked up. I grab scissors and start at one end just cutting strips of assorted (and unmeasured) widths. I like the craziness of it all and it is so easy of course because there is nothing to line up or match. Just so there is enough for the seam allowance. Sometimes I use one fabric for all 4 sides, so the block forms concentric squares (like the yellow tote bag a few days ago) and sometimes I just grab a strip and use it until it's gone then start another. I sew little pieces together if I need to make a strip longer and there isn't anything long left. I do quilt as I go, meaning I am actually stitching them onto the batting (in this case, fleece), just like you would if you were using muslin as a backer. I had no particular plans for this one, except that it would be a bag. I was thinking I would do another large one, like the yellow, but once I finished the 4 squares, I thought they made a good size with 2 front and 2 back, so that is what I went with. I sewed them together, made handles from leftover strips and attached them. Made the lining and attached it. Then decided it needed a zipper, so I added that in too.

I love log cabins, they are my very favorite design, so even if I don't have much time, if I'm feeling the need to create something, I'll grab scraps and just start sewing them together. I save them all and they find their way into different projects over time.

SO, yes, you could say it is intentional, but I don't plan it out first. I kinda design as I go and am more a problem solver (as they occur) than a plan-it-out-first person.

Sunday, March 2, 2008

It's done!

Here's my finished log cabin afghan. It took me so long because I had to take a medically indicated hiatus in the middle. But it is finally finished. More pictures here.

I must say it is disturbingly square for what I imagined it would turn out to be. The finished product measures 54" x 58". I used up quite a bit of my scrap stash on this one. Of xourse, I'm still left with a ton. But I'm making progress.

I don't know if you can see it or not, but there's an edging of reverse single crochet around the edge. No matter what I did, the pictures of it didn't turn out. But it is my new edging of choice.
The bulk of this is done in RHSS, but there's a lot of other brands of yarn that are similar in there too. I used DC the whole way through except for two rounds of SC around the whole thing, and then an edging of reverse SC.