Thursday, November 1, 2007

Modern Zig Zag - log cabin idea

As a graphic artist, I design/sketch almost everything on my computer before starting on it. I like the precision it gives and the ability to really see what it should look like beforehand. This is my idea for a sort of modern zig zag log cabin. I knit, crochet and quilt, so this would work with any of those methods, although I plan to crochet it. To help visualize the finished afghan, I created a color palette that is pretty close to the actual yarn color of my chosen yarn, the Vanna's Choice yarns from Lion Brand. While not normally a fan of all acrylic yarns, this new one is really nice to work with. It seems a tad heavier weight than worsted (although it is listed as worsted) and using an I hook and hdc (half-double crochet) it makes great log cabins! This will probably be my next WIP (after I finish the 3 I have going on right now!) Feel free to use this if you like, I'd love to see it!

Oh, and yes, there aren't any written directions here - I just make one block how I like and do all the rest the same way. My guess on this is I will do the first starting block (which is black) as 10 hdc wide by 7 rows high. Each subsequent stripe would then also be 7 rows high. For the black border, while I could work it in the round once the center section was completed and seamed, I think I will stitch them as individual blocks and seam as well, to continue the true "quilt" look.
Have fun!
tonya

Here is one block up close including yarn color names (click for larger view):

2 comments:

mrswade said...

Wow. Love the color combo. I don't think it's anything I would have put together, but it looks amazing.

Lain said...

This is so striking!
Lovely!
xoxox
Lain